VHHS College Center
Here you will find the most current links and deadlines for the Common Application, CSU Mentor, and scholarships.
- UC EAOP Resources: This site created by the University of California has downloadable guides and links to planning and funding sites.
- College Scorecard: This government website allows you to research colleges based on factors such as cost, debt, after graduation earning, retention and graduation rates, degrees, sizes, location, etc.
- Transitioning to College: Helping You Succeed: “This guide provides information about the changes you will face during the transition from high school to college. You will find general information about college and how college differs from high school, but the focus of this guide is on college libraries as an academic support service, college level research expectations, and the research process.”
- CollegeMajors101: Find the perfect fit between your passions, your career interests, and majors offered.
- Personal Essay Resources
- The Common Application We serve students, member institutions, and secondary schools by providing applications – online and in print – that students and school officials may submit to any of our more than 400 members. Membership is open to colleges and universities that promote access by evaluating students using a holistic selection process.
- CSU Mentor : CSUMentor is a website designed to help students and their families learn about the California State University (CSU) system. The CSU is comprised of 23 excellent campuses. CSUMentor assists students in planning for college, in selecting the appropriate CSU campus to attend, in planning how to finance their education, and in applying for admission.
- University of California Application Process Freshman and transfer admission, AP credits, IB credits, additional program requirements, UC graduation requirements, important dates, help with the application, open houses and campus visits, downloadable guides, and more.
- Free Online Practice Tests/Study Guides from LAPL: this is a video that shows you how to access online practice tests and study guides for all standardized tests, including AP Exams, SAT, ACT, PSAT, and college placement exams.
- College Board Registration You can register for upcoming SAT/AP tests at this site. You can also view your scores.
- SAT College Board, the most widely used college admission exam
- ACT, Inc., a student site for ACT test takers
- ACT Tutorials
- Free ACT and SAT help
Practice tests, tips on testing, and much more – all free. You can use this site to help prepare for upcoming SATs and ACTs
- All About College
- American Universities Braintrack – college and university directory
- California Colleges – Planning for college in California
- Distance Gradschools – Online graduate school directory
- College and University Rankings – see which colleges and universities rank where in different categories
- National Center for Educational Statistics – US Dept. of Education, collects and analyzes educational data
- Search for Schools, Colleges, and Libraries – NCES College Navigator
- LAUSD College Connection The purpose of these pages is to give you access to the latest information about college admissions and the resources provided by LAUSD to prepare you for college. Here you’ll find information on required courses, electives, test requirements, and financial aid, plus other valuable information you can review whenever it’s convenient; and, the site makes sharing this information with your parents or your children quick and easy.
- Fastweb – apply for scholarship
- The Student Guide – Financial Aid from the US Dept of Educatio
- UPromise– Get money for college just by registering your grocery cards and shopping online. FREE.
- Scholarships.com –Scholarships.com has been a free service and a valuable resource in reducing the costs of a post-secondary education since 1998. Through the support of educators, students will be well served in discovering the many free funding opportunities for college.
- Ms. Cheby’s List of Scholarships — As I get emails and other notifications of scholarships, I store them in this Diigo list. Check back regularly to see if there is anything new.
Transitioning to College
This website developed by Kent State University, provides support to help you prepare yourself for the transition from high school college, from considering issues of transportation and time management, to providing overviews of how college libraries differ from high school and public libraries.
- *Career Cruising via LAUSD databaes: From the linked page, go to specialty databases and find Career Cruising. This site allows you to find what the day to day job is like in various careers, find out the required training, see potential for growth, and compare potential earnings. If you are off-campus, follow the instructions on this page on this page to log in remotely and then use the Career Cruising link on that page.
- Chronicle of Higher Education Careers
- Occupational Classification System Manual
- Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Salary Calculator – Calculate a salary based on a zip code
- Letter Generator Enter information and a letter will be formatted. Visit the site above first to know what to write in the letter and to see more samples.
- ReadWriteThink Sample Cover Letters and ResumesStart by looking at some samples so you know what your end goal should look like. Also looking at the samples will give you ideas of what information you need to gather to write your resume and letter.
- ReadWriteThink Sample Cover Letters and Resumes Start by looking at some samples so you know what your end goal should look like. Also looking at the samples will give you ideas of what information you need to gather to write your resume and letter.
- College Board Resume Writing 101 Tips on what to include in your resume as a high school student and links to how to create a resume.
- AIE Sample Resumes and Templates Samples of resumes highlighting academics, volunteer, work, and internship experience with templates to build your own.
- Resume Generator Interactive flash programs where you enter your information and a resume is formatted for you.
- Free Business Card Templates Downloadable for Word